This is the project page for the LeaRN
Japanese RPG: Slime Forest Adventure.
SFA can teach you basic Japanese literacy with:
It is playable and the first storyline ("Jenk's Adventure", for
introductory kanji recognition) is essentially complete. There are demo and
registered versions available for Windows, OS X, and Linux.
(contact by email -
all inquiries welcome)
Support development by becoming a member!
Talk to other Slime Forest players, get help with the game, get help
with Japanese, meet new people.
New version: Build 163 (changelog)
Friday, October 3 2014
More updates coming soon!
Demo version of Slime Forest Adventure:
- optional introduction to katakana and hiragana
- learn to recognize and distinguish 200 kanji
- the adventure begins with Episode 1
- start learning kanji readings with a sample sidequest
- introductory vocabulary and grammar in Supplementary Training
The Gradeschool Kanji registered version additionally has:
- the adventure continues with Episodes 2-4
- expanded set of 1,000 kanji, with readings training
- full sidequest to train and test kun readings
- additional readings training and testing coming soon
The Common Use Kanji registered version also has:
- expanded set of nearly 2,000 kanji
- complete readings training with ~3,000 example words
- full sidequest to learn kun readings for 1,000 kanji
- replay the story on Hard Mode to learn more kanji and their readings
- continuation of main story coming soon
Slime Forest Adventure
Fight slimes, save a princess, learn Japanese!
Friday, October 3
Just a small bug fix release today. Still working on the major release,
but I got some good bug reports that I felt should be dealt with.
Tuesday, September 16
I'm working on a major release, which extends the story to an ending,
with four new areas. After it's done, I'll go back and add sidequests, and
generally polish things up. Sorry for only minor updates this last couple of
weeks, I expected to be done sooner.
Monday, September 8
Another minor release. This one changes the spell charging to be more
logically based on fighting with the spellbook equipped.
Wednesday, September 3
Very minor release today. Just changes the text entry to be more standard:
you can enter しんとう as "shintou" rather than "shinntou", since it's not
ambiguous when the "n" is followed by a consonant. You still have to type
"anni" to get あんい, since "ani" will be あに. Text entry is still in
katakana, to ensure you get enough katakana practice, and as a style thing,
because of the association of katakana with very primitive computer systems
(like ALL CAPS).
Friday, August 29
New release today. The spells now each have their proper effects,
Tuesday, August 26
The mailing list / email newsletter has been discontinued. It's just not
arriving for half of the people on the list, due particularly to gmail refusing
automated mail from lrnj.com (it doesn't even put it in the spam folder, it
just refuses to deliver -- apparently the system decided that individually
requested password-fix emails were "unsolicited bulk email").
Saturday, August 23
New release today, adds spell charging and casting.