This is the project page for the LeaRN
Japanese RPG: Slime Forest Adventure.
SFA can teach you basic Japanese literacy with:
It is playable and the first storyline ("Jenk's Adventure", for
introductory kanji recognition) is essentially complete. There are free and
registered versions available for Windows, OS X, and Linux.
(contact by email -
all inquiries welcome)
Support development by becoming a member!
Membership benefits start at $1 and $20 is a standard membership.
Study kanji on your smartphone or other web-capable device.
Talk to other Slime Forest players, get help with the game, get help
with Japanese, meet new people.
New version: Build 165 (changelog)
Tuesday, November 25 2014
Sorry for the delays in updating this further. Development is currently
focused on the web app.
Free version of Slime Forest Adventure:
- optional introduction to katakana and hiragana
- get comfortable with kanji
- learn to recognized and distinguish a thousand kanji
- the adventure begins with Episodes 1-4
- start learning kanji readings with a sample sidequest
- introductory vocabulary and grammar in Supplementary Training
The Gradeschool Kanji registered version additionally has:
- start learning to really read Japanese, by learning words written in kanji
- full sidequest to train and test example words for kun readings
- master seven powerful spells!
- additional sidequests coming soon
The Common Use Kanji registered version also has:
- the adventure is completed with Episodes 5-8
- expanded set of nearly 2,000 kanji, enough for basic literacy
- complete readings training through vocabulary, with ~3,000 example words
- more sidequests coming soon
Slime Forest Adventure
Fight slimes, save a princess, learn Japanese!
Thursday, February 16
I got data recovery done on my failed drive! I once again have the most
recent version of the source code to build on.
New version of the Web App today, incorporating the most current data.