This is the project page for the LeaRN
Japanese RPG: Slime Forest Adventure.
SFA can teach you basic Japanese literacy with:
It is playable and the first storyline ("Jenk's Adventure", for
introductory kanji recognition) is essentially complete. There are free and
registered versions available for Windows, OS X, and Linux.
(contact by email -
all inquiries welcome)
Support development by becoming a member!
Membership benefits start at $1 and $20 is a standard membership.
Study kanji on your smartphone or other web-capable device.
Talk to other Slime Forest players, get help with the game, get help
with Japanese, meet new people.
New version: Build 168 (changelog)
Thursday, July 6 2017
Free version of Slime Forest Adventure:
- optional introduction to katakana and hiragana
- get comfortable with kanji
- learn to recognized and distinguish a thousand kanji
- the adventure begins with Episodes 1-4
- start learning kanji readings with a sample sidequest
- introductory vocabulary and grammar in Supplementary Training
The Gradeschool Kanji registered version additionally has:
- start learning to really read Japanese, by learning words written in kanji
- full sidequest to train and test example words for kun readings
- master seven powerful spells!
- additional sidequests coming soon
The Common Use Kanji registered version also has:
- the adventure is completed with Episodes 5-8
- expanded set of nearly 2,000 kanji, enough for basic literacy
- complete readings training through vocabulary, with ~3,000 example words
- more sidequests coming soon
Slime Forest Adventure
Fight slimes, save a princess, learn Japanese!
Thursday, July 6
More bug fixes. A helpful long-time user reported some pretty severe
problems with the last OS X release which needed to be addressed.
Saturday, June 3
Just a bug fix Slime Forest release today. There were two very bad bugs
to do with the "training focus" (the option, on by default, to prevent
kanji from showing up in training encounters unless they'll be in the next
cave): it didn't work properly for the last cave (requiring players to turn
the option off to get to the current limit of the story), and it treated
storyless training as if the first cave hadn't been beaten.
I'm working on more, but I thought I had better release the bug fixes now.
Thursday, February 16
I got data recovery done on my failed drive! I once again have the most
recent version of the source code to build on.
New version of the Web App today, incorporating the most current data.